1.09.2017

Green fever despite the Snow!

o I know it's really cold out and the ground is covered in the icky white. But I can't help but start dreaming of the green springy goodness! We're staying here another year and that means I get to have a semi proper garden rather then just pots. I've got seeds from last year, some extras and those saved from the garden and a few new packets from lowes, but the real goodies will be arriving mail order  from Baker Creek heirloom seeds and those I am super excited about! 

You might be wondering why I'm bothering with seeds so early in the year. It's true a lot of non gardeny people don't realize how early it all starts. Some cold weather plants go out weeks before the last frost and others need to be started in doors about 6-8 weeks ahead of time. Other things like garlic and poppies actually need to be planted out anytime from November-January so they can stratify (fancy word for the day).

Another thing that's got me dreaming green is this lovely book I got for Christmas!

So on this cold snowy day I'm sitting wrapped up in a big plaid scarf, drinking coffee and planning my garden so that when this snow melts I'll know where I want to stick those garlic bulbs. It's going to be an amazing spring and summer, I am very excited!

As a side note, anyone who gardens should learn to save seeds, it's free plants for next year and years to come and really not that difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment