3.23.2016

Thinkin Baby Names

Yes my daughters only 5 and a half month old, no I'm not pregnant again ... I just love thinking about babies and names. Names, how they sound together and what they mean, it's always been a favorite topic of mine. My brother and sister in law are having a litte girl this summer and she's going to be named after her two great grandmothers.

That got me thinking on family names and I realized that there aren't a ton of "family" names that I really really like. Doing genealogical research this past year has brought a few extra interesting names that came to light  such Benoni, Deliverance, Calista, Lydia, Teague and Vanilla but there were also a lot of Marys', Roberts', Annas' and Johns'. Not that any of those are bad names, they are however heavily used. 

But not everyone feels the same when it comes to using family names. Our first little girl we named Guinevere Annette, though I tell you I was so close to giving her 4 names Guinevere Annette Mae Li and if I'd known that a friend of mine had recently given her son 4 names it probably would have tipped me over that edge. At any rate none of those names are family related but my husband and I loved it, Guinevere Annette means unblemished grace.

Some of my favorite family names and what they mean include:
Francis  = Free   Katherine = Pure Mollie = Beloved  Blanche = Fair
George = Farmer William = Resolute protector 
Seth = Anointed  Teague = A  poet

Some other names I like are Finnegan, Jemimah, Nora, Rory, Patrick and Erin. I had a huge list of names I loved, unfortunately I saved it on Evernote and they deleted about 95% of my notes last month. I'm never using Evernote again.

If our next little one is a boy we plan to name him Finnegan Seth Li. What about you? What are some baby names you like? And what do you think of using family names?

1 comment:

  1. Obviously I wasn't concerned with family names, except your grandfather's and that just because I liked "Seth". This has only been reinforced by our search into family history and finding how heavily laden that branch of the family tree is with Seths.
    I think the most important starting point is a request to our Creator and Father "who is this child
    ?"

    ReplyDelete