3.25.2016

Growing a Cut Flower Garden

If you've ever wanted to try your hand at selling things weekly or monthly at your local farmers market, you'll  undoubtedly know how difficult and complicated it is. Just thinking about it is potentially migraine worthy! Its not like a roadside stand, you have to know what your selling, when your selling, how much and at what charge (all of this pre-season and if your selling anything edible you have to have insurance.

Well all that mess got me thinking about what kinds of non-edibles can you sell at a Farmers market. Obviously there are a number of homemade goods such as baskets and quilts, but what if you want to grow things? Cut Flowers and potted plants and cut flowers could easily be a great solution. Super fresh, mix your own bouquet, while eat those summer strawberries you got next door.

I love the idea of growing my own cut flowers, but why grow them just for myself. I would love to have a huge cut flower garden and sell them. Allow people to come into my garden and mix their own bouquets of very freshly cut flowers. I'd have a sign by the road with what flowers are in bloom, I'd probably also sell any excess vegetables, eggs, or homemade goods in a little shop off the back of the house. Not sure that I will ever do it, but it's a lovey idea non the less!

field of flowers
What kinds of flowers do you like in a bouquet? Do you enjoy big hot house blooms, old fashioned fragrances or perhaps something a bit more wild. Subtle or attention seeking, purely floral or would you enjoy some herbs thrown in the mix to liven things up a bit? 










No comments:

Post a Comment