4.01.2016

ThredUP thoughts


I'm sure you've seen the advertisements, they seem to be everywhere! ThredUP is the new big thing on the block. They claim to have everything you love about thrift shopping and online shopping all in one place, not only can you buy but you can also sell and their prices are supposedly AMAZING!

So my thoughts? I have to check it, right. So I head on over to their sight to see what I can see. Now for any of you who know me, you know I love a good deal! I am all about sharing cloths, hand-me-downs, thrift shopping and consignment. Over the past 5 years I've grown to appreciate this aspect of American culture even more (second hand is not a thing in China). But when I got to thredUP I must admit I was shocked ... almost sickened by the prices on there items $20, $50, $100 or more. Just a few months back I was complaining that the thrift store prices had all gone up to $2 or $3 per shirt. 
As I was fuming and thinking about the outrageousness of it all, a thought occurred to me. I would never buy from thredUP but perhaps I could sell to them. If they are charging $10-$30 or more on every item, they must be buying for a good amount. As I investigated I found that the things they are willing to sell for over $20 they will only pay you about $2 for. Well, that just about did it for me and then I noticed something that was just to much! Wrinkles! A sweater, a J. Crew cardigan for $20.99 covered in wrinkles! If they don't take the time to even make their photos presentable .... All I can say is their advertising seems to be the only thing they have done a good job with.

I don't think I will ever buy from ThredUP, and I don't think I'd sell to them either. Have you tried it? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment