1.07.2017

New Year, New Sleep


My biggest new years resolution was to get Guiny sleeping by herself. I'm not normally a big new years resolution kind of person, but this was a must happen for this year and I am feeling very resolute about it. 

When I was pregnant I never thought we would do co-sleeping but I wasn't very intentional and it just kind of happened. Co-sleeping can be a great thing but it can also make change very difficult. When I first started thinking about it I had no idea what to do, I talked to other people, my mom, my husband, (myself), I prayed and did a lot of research. I read a lot of stuff where people said just let them cry and that just didn't settle well. 

After a while and with the new year just a week away I sat down and made a plan. I figured I could adjust the plan if necessary but I needed somewhere to start. So Monday it began with morning nap time in the crib, I had decided to stay in the room and act like I was sleeping that was the worst idea ever. I think I cried more then she did, and it didn't last very long. Day two I decided, i would stay in the kitchen coming back every so often to console her. That worked better for me but it seemed to upset her even more to be put back after. So day three I put her in the crib with her monkey and her rabbit and left her there she complained strongly for while, then talked a bit, nocked on the window etc and was generally pretty brave for the first half hour, after that she melted and it was all tears. Thursday wasn't golden but perhaps ... chocolate? She cried very loudly for half an hour and then fell asleep. And then today, today she cried for 10 minutes and slept the rest of her hour in peace.

So although it has been incredibly difficult and she probably won't be completely sleeping by herself for another month or two, I'm very happy to say we made it through day one and two and three and four and five and things are looking up!

1 comment:

  1. You didn't mention my favorite part...the day she fell asleep, work up five minutes later absolutely livid. More than likely angry at herself for having given in to sleep.

    ReplyDelete