10.25.2016

The Skirt vs The Pant

A couple weeks ago my husband randomly asked me if I prefer jeans or long skirts/dresses. I knew right off that the answer was long skirts and dresses, but it of course is way more complicated than that. Which has in turn lead to a lot of thinking. 


I'm 24 years old and I think it's safe to say I've spent most of my life wearing some form of denim. And I like it, I think it's comfortable, I have even been known to sleep in my jeans. I like a good pair of jeans and if it's cold and snowy or really wet or I'm going hiking or any other active activity I will probably always choose a pair of jeans. 

On the other hand, more particularly since I've gotten older I find that I actually like skirts better, especially long full skirts. Beyond the fact that it's actually healthier for woman to wear skirts (there are tons of resources for this so I'm not going to bother citing any unless someone asks) and the fact that they're comfortable, I honestly like the way they look better and how they feel when I walk in them or sit in them.  Also you don't have to worry about the material wearing thin between your legs, thus a skirt will last a lot longer then a pair of pants (p.s. Unless you have thin model type legs, this is pretty much always an issue).

I read a quote a month or two ago by a woman named Tasha Tudor, she said “Why do woman want to dress like men when they are fortunate enough to be woman? Why lose femininity, which is one of our greatest charms? We get more accomplished by being charming then we would by flaunting around in pants and smoking. I am very fond of men. I think they are wonderful creatures. I love them dearly. But I don't want to look like one. When women gave up their long skirts, they made a grave error…”                                                                                                                                        Now of course I know first hand the practicality of wearing pants, but I still find it sad that they have become so common. I will still have a couple pairs of pants, but I think I'm going to add more skirts and dresses to my wardrobe this year.

* all photos can be found on my Pinterest board, My Dream Closet.





1 comment:

  1. Besides, long skirts give shy children a great place to hide.

    ReplyDelete