6.30.2016

A Trellis for my Squash

So the spaghetti squash seeds I planted out (from the inside of an actual squash) have turned out to be viable seeds after all, with the first little baby squash appearing on the vine last week. That meant it was time to do something, a couple somethings actually! First I planted out some petunias to deter the squash bugs. Companion planting has been around for quite a while and it's a well proven fact that plants have friends, as you can probably see we also plant marigolds around the tomatoes. HereHere is a list of veggies that grow good together and here are some flowers that deter pests.Well after all that, it was on to making a trellis. Now of course you could go the traditional rout and just let them grow on the ground, but they can climb and do very well that way with a bit of help, also it looks more fun and leaves more room for other things. So I started planning and yesterday I finally got it done! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I even got to use the tool set my dad bought me for my birthday!
Here is that first little squash I told you about, that little thing has caused a hole lot of excitement!
Not to mention all the mustard greens that have gone to seed
And the peas that have been left on the vine to dry out
And this, this is our Cherokee purple tomatoe! We got one last year and they are amazing.
And a surprise gourd, I thought the seeds were too old and wouldn't grow, so I threw them out and a month later tada!

No comments:

Post a Comment